It is my honor to introduce to you our new favorite shrimp recipe – Chili Lime Shrimp…with Avocado Crema. A flavorful seasoned shrimp recipe drizzled with a yummy sauce made out of avocados, lime juice and cilantro.
A sauce so good I wanna swim in it. Is that appropriate?
Who is ready for the summer?
Perhaps it’s the lightness of the dish, or the refreshing avocado dip that goes perfectly with the chili lime flavors.
Or maybe because we sometimes throw the shrimp on the grill to get that smoky flavor on the shrimp.
This Chili Lime Shrimp recipe can be grilled or pan fried, and is flavor-bursting, juicy and delicious.
When serving, don’t forget to whip together the ever-so-delicious Avocado Crema.
This delicious sauce is creamy, tangy and brings another layer of flavor to the already yummy Chili Lime Shrimp.
Let’s Make Chili Lime Shrimp!
Using pantry friendly ingredients, here is what you will need for Chili Lime Shrimp:
- Raw shrimp – I like to use peeled shrimp so that it is easier to eat, and the flavors actually get on the shrimp itself (instead of the shell). Avoid getting cooked shrimp for this recipe – fresh raw shrimp works best! I like to go up to the seafood counter at the grocery store to get it (this will typically get you the freshest batch), or use a bag of frozen shrimp.
- Chili powder
- Garlic – use fresh garlic and avoid garlic powder. Fresh garlic has better flavors for this! Mince garlic into small pieces.
- Lime juice – I like to squeeze the juice from fresh limes.
To make avocado crema, gather these ingredients together:
- Greek yogurt – sour cream works as well!
- Water – used to dilute the sauce
Step 1: Season and/or marinate Chili LimeShrimp
It is important to pat dry shrimp so there is no access moisture and combine spices and seasonings in a small bowl.
In order to make it flavorful, I like to marinate shrimp briefly (30 minutes or so) in chili powder and seasonings to get the flavors into the shrimp.
Do not over marinate as it can get overly salty if shrimp sits in the marinate for too long.
If you are short on time, you can skip the marinating step, and simple coat shrimp in spices and seasoning and immediately cook it.
Step 2: Sear or grill shrimp
Heat skillet with vegetable oil, then sear shrimp for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
Once shrimp is no longer translucent, it is done. Avoid overcooking shrimp so that it will be nice and juicy. Overcooked shrimp is dry and has a rubber-y texture (a.k.a. not tasty!).
Alternatively, you can grill Chili Lime Shrimp as well. You can cook it directly on the grill or even skewer (inda like shrimp kebobs) it so that it is easier to flip.
Fire up the grill and cook it briefly, flipping halfway through. Shrimp cooks very quickly so avoid overcooking as well.
Grilling (especially over fire) will provide additional flavors. It’s a lot more work and takes longer, but definitely very tasty and worth trying if you have time!
Step 3: Make Avocado Crema or Avocado Dip
Sauces makes me happy.
And now avocado crema. Yum yum yum!
THAT. IS. IT.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
Once everything is done, plate Chili Lime Shrimp and serve it with avocado crema on the side.
You can also drizzle the crema onto the shrimp, but always serve it on the side as well because you will want more sauce on that shrimp! Trust me!
Tips and Tricks
A few things to note when making Chili Lime Shrimp
- Make sure shrimp is completely defrosted and pat dry before coating them in sauce.
- Avoid overcooking shrimp! They cook really fast and will dry up and not be tasty if overcooked. No amount of seasoning can make overcook shrimp taste better! 😉
What to serve with Chili Lime Shrimp?
There are so many ways to serve Chili Lime Shrimp:
- Served as a main dish with these yummies on the side
- Served as a taco, wrapped in flour or corn tortillas, with topping such as cilantro, onions and of course, Avocado Crema.
- Served on top of ramen noodles or plain rice.
- By itself! Make it a low carb, healthy meal!
I hope you enjoy this delicious, low carb and flavorful Chili Lime Shrimp dish as much as we did!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other yummy Shrimp recipes!
- Shrimp Stir Fried Noodles
- General Tso Shrimp
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- Crispy Shrimp Bowl
- Shrimp and Snow Pea Stir Fry
Chili Lime Shrimp with Avocado Crema
Chili Lime Shrimp
- 1 lbs raw, peeled fresh shrimp
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small/medium avocado
- 1/8 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium lime
- 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/4 cup water or more
Chili Lime Shrimp
- In a small bowl, combine shrimp marinate – chili powder, salt, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Pat dry defrosted shrimp and transfer to a zip lock bag or medium bowl. Add marinade to shrimp and coat evenly. Let shrimp sit in the marinade for ~30 minutes. If you are short on time, skip the marinating step.
- Heat skillet with vegetable oil (see Note 1). Once skillet is heated, add shrimp and cook for 1-2 minutes on one side. Flip to the other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked (cooked shrimp typically curls up and is no longer translucent). Remove from heat promptly.
- I typically make this while the shrimp is marinating to save time.
- Bring all avocado crema ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend everything up. Add more salt if needed, and 1 tbsp of water at a time to thin it out if needed.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Drizzle Avocado Crema onto shrimp or serve it on the side!