Okay friends, I am obsessed. OBSESSED. With rice. Uh-huh.
Call me crazy but this Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice is my newest obsession. I know what you are thinking – strange, weird, just a little a bit out there.
But it is so yummy, so simple, and so perfect on like EVERYTHING.
I made a large batch, like ultra large batch, of this Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice the other night, and it has been the side that went with ALL THE THINGS we ate since then.
Salmon, chicken, pork, beef, a bunch of random veggies, inside a taco (that’s my husband’s new thing), by itself for lunch when there’s nothing else to eat (me this afternoon).
Some conventionally appropriate. Some not really. But does that even MATTER.
At some point we will switch up the sides. For right now – it’s safe to say this has become a slight obsession.
The funny thing is I totally made this on accident.
I wanted some fluffy rice to go with the baked salmon I was making for dinner one evening. If you have been following my insta-stories on instagram, you might recall 😉 .
I saw rice in the pantry, and also one of my favorite seasoning in the world – Better than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken Based. And we were out of veggies – except for a bag of frozen mixed veggies in the fridge.
At that fateful moment, everything came together. I didn’t really know what to call it, but Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice it is.
Ingredients for Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice
It is so simple to make I almost didn’t want to write this up. All you need is rice, chicken bouillon, garlic and some mixed veggies. Sometimes simple is truly the best.
My favorite rice to use for this recipe is basmati rice. Basmati rice is used a lot in Indian and Mediterranean cooking, and is fragrant and has a great texture. I highly recommend using that for this recipe.
As for the chicken bouillon. Use good quality chicken bouillon because it will make such a difference to the flavor of your dish!
If you are trying to figure out what are good bullion’s to use, I highly recommend the Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Based (which is what I use here) or Trader Joe’s Chicken Flavor Bouillon concentrate.
Keep in mind that different chicken bouillon will be different in terms of its salt levels, flavor etc. I am recommending 3 tablespoons of the Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Based for this recipe, but adjust accordingly if you are using another chicken bouillon.
Mixed vegetables is a great add in this recipe because mixed vegetables = easy peasy.
It’s a super easy ingredient, and it is after all, vegetables, which always makes me feel like I am putting good stuff in my tummy. Even if it is a few sprinkle of it over a large bed of rice.
In addition, it adds great texture and little hints of sweetness to the entire dish.
Incredibly flavorful, great textures, this Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice side is perfect side for any meal! It also keeps really well, and seriously, it goes with everything! Except maybe ice cream.
If you make this recipe PLEASE let me know how it goes in the comment box below, and share pictures of your creations on instagram by tagging #joyousapron! And while you are there, don’t forget to follow me! 🙂
Other Rice Dishes
- Steak Fried Rice
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- Hawaiian Chicken with Coconut Rice
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
More Yummy Sides
Because why not?!? 😀 Happy cooking, all!
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- Brown Sugar Pecan Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Avocado Quinoa Salad
- Caramelized Roasted Carrots (by Rachel from Little Chef Big Appetite!)
If you make this recipe, comment below and let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- ~3 tbsp Chicken Bouillon (Better Than Bouillon, Roasted Chicken Base) adjust accordingly
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetable
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a large pot, add olive oil and minced garlic and cook under medium heat till fragrant (this goes quick!). Do not brown or burn garlic.
- Add rice to pot. Stir and cook for a minute. Then add water and chicken bouillon. Stir to combine. Bring to medium high heat and to a boil.
- Once the water boils, lower to medium low heat, cover pot (make sure it is fairly tight), and cook for 15-17 minutes.
- Bring frozen mixed vegetable to bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until vegetable is soft (do not overcook). Drain access water.
- Once rice is cooked, remove cover and use spatula to stir and fluff rice. Add mixed vegetable to rice. Stir and combine.
- Serve and enjoy!