Whatever your relationship status is with broccoli – best buds, kinda meh, it’s complicated, you will love this Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli.
This is seriously one of the tastiest broccoli side dish ever….and it’s so easy to make as well! Roasted lemon broccoli is oven baked, slightly crunchy on the outside, seasoned with a delicious lemon garlic flavor that is savory and slightly tangy.
Oven Baked Broccoli with Lemon and Garlic
Take my husband for example. Historically not a broccoli fan, he devoured this lemon garlic roasted broccoli. And yes, he was pretty surprised by how much he liked it.
Full of bursting flavors and a slight crunch, I am convinced that lemon garlic roasted broccoli is how you convinced those non-veggie eaters to eat more veggies!
As for me – broccoli and I were in the “kinda meh” category. Never hated it; never loved it; never my first choice.
But now that this yum thing has made its way into my life somewhat unexpectedly – oh my gosh I ABSOLUTELY ADORE this baked lemon broccoli dish.
Couldn’t stop eating it. Couldn’t believe I couldn’t stop eating broccoli. Ah, the surprises in life.
Totally went from meh to best buds. All thanks to this incredible roasted lemon broccoli recipe.
The inspiration for roasted lemon garlic broccoli came from a local restaurant.
When my sister was in town a few weeks ago, we tried out a new place and ordered this lemony slightly charred broccoli side that I fell in love with it. After that, I was determined to recreate the roasted lemon broccoli dish at home.
After a handful of trial and error, I got it exactly the way I liked it. I also decided to leave out the charring of the broccoli because I actually like it baked better.
And so it happened – Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli. BEST broccoli dish ever.
Lemon garlic roasted broccoli is made with only 5 simple ingredients:
- broccoli – cut into broccoli florets
- lemon – use freshly squeeze lemon juice. The citrus from the lemon really brings about incredible flavors to the lemon garlic broccoli
- garlic – use fresh garlic for the best flavor. Garlic powder just isn’t the same, but can be used in a pinch
- salted butter – don’t use unsalted, it’s less tasty. You can use olive oil or vegetable oil, but in my experience butter taste better. However, olive oil is in fact a healthier way to make lemon garlic broccoli.
- salt – used to open the flavors in the broccoli.
How to Make Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli
When I created this roasted lemon garlic broccoli recipe, I wanted to keep it simple. No fancy ingredients, straight-forward cooking, and minimal active time in the kitchen (less than 10 minutes active time!).
To make lemon garlic broccoli, start by cutting up broccoli into small to medium sized florets, and then bring them to a large mixing bowl.
In a small ramekin, melt butter and add minced garlic to melted butter. Then drizzled the mixture to broccoli. Toss well.
After that, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of freshly squeeze lemon juice. One medium size lemon should be able to yield that. If you like it super lemony, feel free to add more lemon juice.
Drizzle lemon juice all over broccoli, and toss again.
Next, add some salt to the broccoli, and toss some more.
Spread lemon garlic broccoli onto a baking sheet. Do not overlap or overcrowd the baking sheet.
Bake lemon garlic broccoli in the oven at 425℉ for 17-20 minutes. No flipping required – easy easy easy.
The product is a beautifully roasted broccoli with lemon and garlic flavors.
Something about lemon flavors in this simple garlic broccoli dish takes it to the next level.
It is crunchy, flavorful, and makes eating broccoli so much fun!
Lemon + garlic + buttery = the combo that makes these broccoli come alive.
If you there’s only one thing you take away from this post, it is that. Take that with you, and see broccoli in a whole new light!
Variations and Substitutions
Here are some other minor tweaks to this roasted lemon garlic broccoli recipe that I’ve made that works well:
- Add parmesan – parmesan brings another level of flavor and saltiness to your roasted lemon broccoli
- Use cooking oil (avocado oil, olive oil) instead of butter – this is a healthier spin, but I honestly think the butter version taste better.
- Add almonds – for the extra crunch!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can but I don’t love the texture of frozen broccoli after it is baked (less crunchy, a bit soggy) so I would recommend fresh broccoli if you can find them.
Substitute butter with olive oil or avocado oil. Butter makes this dish more flavorful, but olive oil and avocado oil are healthier choices
I always reheat this in the microwave and it turns out just fine!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other Yummy Veggie Dishes
- Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans
- Garlic Edamame
- Asian Style Green Beans
- Light Raisin Coleslaw
- Broccoli Kale Slaw
- Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Sautéed Garlic Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- 1 head broccoli 12-14 oz
- 1 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice ~1 lemon
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut broccoli into medium sized-florets (see picture), and bring them into a large bowl. Minced garlic. Squeeze lemon juice from lemon.
- Melt butter in microwave. Mix minced garlic into melted butter. Pour mixture into the bowl of broccoli. Toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle broccoli with salt and lemon juice.
- Spread broccoli onto a baking sheet. Do not overlap or overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes. Bake for closer to 17 minutes if you like your broccoli crunchier and closer to 20 minutes if you like them softer. Time needed will depend on the size of your broccoli florets as well.
- Serve and enjoy!