Hassle-free and easy, Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes are creamy, smooth, and infused with gorgeous garlic flavors. You need this quick, and seriously delicious, approach to this classic side dish today!
Why Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Gosh I love potatoes.
Yet it took me this long to put together the very first mashed potatoes recipe for the blog.
But seriously, this is kinda how it works. I only publish what I can truly stand behind. And it took me a while before I truly settle on a mashed potato recipe that is amazing, has the perfect texture, and is simple enough I would want to make again and again.
In addition to being super yummy, this is made in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker because it cooks so much faster and you can be more hands off when it is cooking.
Also, if you are making this during the holidays, using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker is an incredible way to free up stove top space.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? I have stove top option for you, too. Scroll and keep reading!
In short, here’s what you are looking at:
- Easy to make!
- Incredibly flavorful! We are talking about real buttery garlicky goodness.
- Smooth and creamy texture. Thank you heavy cream! Heavy cream is an important ingredient that makes this super creamy and smooth. If you substitute it for milk, it works as well but the potatoes will come out more ‘grainy’.
- Save and freeze well! Always a BONUS!!!!
How to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker
I will have to admit, ever since I first made mashed potatoes in an Instant Pot, it’s hard to go back to the stove top method.
The Instant Pot just makes everything much easier, quicker, and less messy overall.
I don’t typically remove potato skin when I make this because I like the texture of it in my mashed potatoes. And let’s face it, it makes my life a lot easier to not have to peel potatoes.
Wash and scrub russet potatoes, then cut potatoes into smaller pieces.
Add potatoes and submerge 2/3 of it with water in an instant pot. Then pressure cook on high for just 10 minutes! That’s right. 10 MINUTES!
Side note: it does take 10-15 minutes for the Instant Pot to build up pressure, so be sure to build in time for that as well.
While potatoes are cooking in the Instant Pot, crush the garlic cloves. Yes, all 8-10 cloves of it, and be prepared for garlicky goodness! 🙂
Cook heavy cream and crushed garlic in a pot on the stove top until it comes to a boil, then let it simmer for a few minutes before removing from heat.
Drain access water once potatoes are done, then mashed potatoes using a potato masher. If you don’t have a potato masher, use a electric mixer.
Then add these yummies to mashed potatoes and mix well:
- Heavy cream mixture infused with garlic flavors
- Melted salted butter
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – just a little bit of it to further open up the flavors!
What type of potatoes to use for mashed potatoes?
I typically use russet potatoes, yukon gold or other starchier potatoes, but you can also use red potatoes if you prefer those.
Tips and tricks for making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Remember to move valve to seal position when pressure cooking
- If you don’t have a potato masher, use an electric whisk to mash potatoes.
- At the end, taste the potatoes and add salt to taste. If you like your potatoes creamier, add more heavy cream as needed. Always taste and adjust to get it exactly the way you like it!
Can you make this without an Instant Pot?
Yes, absolutely! You can cook this on the stovetop as well.
To cook potatoes on the stove top instead of the Instant Pot, submerge potatoes in water and bring to boil on stovetop. Add salt. Lower to medium low heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and can be pierced through with a fork.
Happy cooking, all!
If you make this recipe, comment below and let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Other Potato Recipes
Are you a potato lover? JOIN THE CLUB!!! Here are more potato recipes for your potato-loving heart and stomach! 😉
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
- Easy 6-Ingredient Cheesy Potato Wedges
- Baked Cajun Fries with Cheese Sauce
- Mashed Potato Croquette (by Platter Talks!)
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs russet or yukon gold potatoes
- 3-5 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Wash and scrub potatoes. Cut potatoes into large pieces, make sure they are around the same size.
- Add potatoes to Instant Pot and submerge 3/4 of the potatoes in water. Add 2 tsp of salt.
- Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Make sure to move valve to sealing position when pressure cooking.
- Crush garlic cloves. Heat a pot on medium heat on stove top, then add heavy cream and garlic cloves and bring it to boil. Lower heat to medium low and cook for another few minutes. Remove from heat.
- Release pressure on Instant Pot when pressure cooking is done. Drain potatoes.
- Smash potatoes until they are smooth (I typically do this in the Instant Pot itself), then add heavy cream and garlic mixture, 2 tbsp butter, sugar, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped parsley and add the other 1 tbsp of butter to the top of potatoes. Enjoy!