Oh-so-simple Caprese Salad with Avocado is the perfect no-cook side dish for summer cookouts and dinners! Juicy tomatoes, creamy fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil drizzled with tangy balsamic glaze.
I call this healthy yumminess with a burst of freshness, and ALL the summer vibes you can hope for!
Avocado Caprese Salad
Caprese Salad with Avocado is an Italian inspired recipe that features simplicity, freshness, and vibrant flavors.
Caprese salad with avocado celebrates some of Italian cuisine’s favorite ingredients: ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, balsamic glaze, and fresh basil leaves.
The tomatoes, preferably vine-ripened and bursting with sweetness, provide a juicy and refreshing base with a hint of sweetness.
And that milky mozzarella balls, typically made from buffalo milk in its traditional form. Its delicate flavor and soft texture contrast beautifully with the tomatoes, adding a luxurious creaminess to every bite.
Balsamic glaze brings the sweet and tangy flavors, while basil brings bites of freshness.
Traditionally, caprese salad doesn’t have avocados in it, but we love the additional of it for the extra protein and creaminess, so we thought, why not. Besides, avocado goes beautifully with the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
Caprese salad with avocados is super low maintenance to make and requires only a few simple in ingredients. You don’t need to do much with it. Just take it as it is. Fresh and juicy and sweet and perfect. No cooking, no heating it up.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make caprese salad with avocado:
- cherry tomatoes – these are intensely juicy and sweet tomatoes that brings so much flavors to caprese salad with avocado recipe. Grape tomatoes work as well.
- mozzarella balls – these comes soaked in water.
- fresh basil – do not substitute with dried basil for this recipe. Get fresh basil for best flavor
- balsamic glaze – this is basically a concentrated/reduction of balsamic vinegar. You can make homemade balsamic glaze using the recipe in the link.
- olive oil – use extra virgin olive oil for best flavor.
- salt and black pepper
How to make it
Caprese salad with avocado is truly a simple and straight-forward recipe with no cooking involve. I love to whip this together for summer cookouts or as a quick side dish for dinner.
Prepare ingredients: wash and slice all ingredients as needed – cut grape tomatoes into halves and cut avocados into small pieces. Drain liquid from fresh mozzarella and pat dry. Pat dry and cut fresh mozzarella into halves. Slice fresh basil into thin strips.
Combine: Add grape tomatoes, avocados, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil into a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Serve: Bring everything into a serving plate or bowl. Drizzle with balsamic glaze when ready to serve.
Tips and Tricks
- Always use fresh ingredients. Good quality balsamic glaze, good quality fresh mozzarella (do not use shredded), fresh basil (not dried), and ripe juicy tomatoes.
- Be sure to pat dry fresh mozzarella to remove access liquid.
- Toss the salad in olive oil, salt and pepper so it is evenly coated and then drizzle balsamic glaze onto it at the end. Avoid tossing the ingredients in balsamic glaze before serving because it gets brown, soggy and kinda unappetizing. I sometimes serve the glaze on the side because this salad just tastes better with freshly drizzled glaze.
Alright, foodie friends. I hope your summer is filled with fresh goodness and lots of fun.
If you are looking to pair this side with a main dish, check out some of my summer favorites below!
- Grilled Lemon Balsamic Chicken
- Ultimate Homemade Burger
- BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
- Garlic Butter Dill Salmon
- Cheese Stuffed Burger
- Grilled Cajun Chicken
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other Healthy Side Dishes
- Avocado Quinoa Salad
- Lemon Orzo Spinach Salad
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Broccoli
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Avocado Orange Salad
- Winter Fruit Salad
- Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
Caprese Salad with Avocado
- 16 oz grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped, more if needed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze more if needed
- Slice grape tomatoes into halves and cut avocados into small pieces. Drain liquid from fresh mozzarella and pat dry. Cut fresh mozzarella into halves (optional). Slice fresh basil into thin strips.
- Bring grape tomatoes, avocados, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil into a large bowl. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Bring everything into a serving plate or bowl. Drizzle with balsamic glaze
- Serve and enjoy!