Avocado Orange Salad is a celebration citrus season! Avocados, oranges, blood oranges and parmesan cheese on top of a bed of arugula, drizzled with zesty lemon dressing. Fresh, lovely, and so much zesty goodness!
Wow wow wow, it’s January.
(P/S: welcome welcome, 2021! We have great hopes for you. ❤️)
In the foodie world, January is when citruses are in season in the United States. I am giddy excited as I embrace citrus season with my whole dang heart and share this delicious, easy, and healthy Avocado Orange Salad with you.
If you love citrus as much as I do, also check out Lemon Garlic Parmesan Pasta, Orange Ginger Salmon and Noodles, and One Pan Baked Lemon Chicken and Rice, because all my citrus-loving peeps need these in their lives as much as I do! 🙂
Okay back to this Avocado Orange Salad. There’s something elegant about this lovely avocado citrus salad. There’s the zesty oranges and blood oranges (in season right now!), and then there’s also creamy avocados and crunchy arugula to balance out the tangy flavors and textures.
Not to mention that touch of shaved parmesan to give it a tad bit of saltiness and introducing a heartier flavor profile to an otherwise light dish.
And of course, homemade lemon dressing (yes – more citrus!) ties it all together.
But please do not be intimidated by the word ‘homemade’… it is just about shaking up four pantry-friendly ingredients in a jar. No blending. No complicated ingredients.
One of those dishes that is easy on the eyes…and also on the stomach.
In addition, this recipe is so versatile. Keep this Orange and Avocado Salad recipe in your hip pocket because there are so ways you can serve it:
- Healthy salad dish for dinner
- Party food (great for dinner parties and holidays!)
- Light lunch or dinner (feel free to add protein if needed)
What is in Avocado Citrus Salad?
Here are the ingredients in the salad:
- Blood Oranges
What to expect: bites after bites of freshness and deliciousness.
Just like most salads, you can branch out and add/subtract ingredients as you wish. Use the above as a guideline and get creative!
Here are some substitution ideas:
- Use a different cheese (feta would work amazing too!)
- Use different lettuce (romaine, spring mix, iceberg)
- Add another citrus (sometimes I add grapefruit!)
- Add some nuts (pecans, almonds, etc)
There’s nothing like a good salad with a fantastic dressing. This citrus dressing pairs fantastically with the arugula, avocados and oranges.
And the best part is: it takes only FOUR ingredients!
What’s in the bright and flavorful lemon dressing:
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Olive oil
Just add it to a bottle, close the lid and shake it up!
Pro tip: use this handheld lemon and lime squeezer to squeeze your lemons quickly and effectively. It’s one of my favorite (and inexpensive!) kitchen tools I own!
Tips and Tricks
A few other things to note when you make this Avocado Orange Salad:
- Use freshly squeeze lemon juice for the dressing!
- Get block parmesan, not the pre-shredded non-refrigerated ones. They taste much better and makes a big difference!
- Serve salad with lemon dressing on the side. Drizzle lemon juice onto salad only when ready to eat.
- When storing leftovers, store lemon dressing separate from the lettuce and fruits.
- Fresh unpeeled/uncut citrus (oranges, lemons, grapefruits etc) stores best in the fridge and has longer shelf life in the fridge.
Orange Avocado Salad – a happy burst of freshness to brighten up the winter months! Enjoy! 💛
If you make this recipe, comment below and let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Other Salad Recipes
- Strawberry Bacon Spinach Salad with Maple Lemon Dressing
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Asian Peanut Chicken Salad
- Pumpkin Cranberry and Almond Salad (by Alex from It’s Not Complicated)
Avocado Orange Salad
- 5-6 oz arugula
- 1 blood orange peeled and sliced
- 1 orange peeled and sliced
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup parmesan shaved
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Prepare salad ingredients.
- Add ingredients for 'lemon dressing' into a jar with a lid. Close lid and shake jar to combine.
- In a large bowl, add arugula, then top with sliced blood orange, orange, grapefruit, and avocados. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Serve salad with dressing on the side. Enjoy!