This delicious Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes recipe is a light and gorgeous side dish for your Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday dinners. It is tossed with dried cranberries and crumbled feta cheese to bring a lovely combination of savory, sweet, tart and nutty flavors.
Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are oven baked together at the same time on a sheet pan, making this healthy and yummy dish a quick and easy one, ready under 30 minutes.
Round out your Thanksgiving menu with these other holiday favorites on the blog such Gravy From Scratch, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Apple Stuffing, Baked Potato Casserole, and Dutch Oven Turkey Breast.
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes is one of my favorite vegetable side dishes to make for the Thanksgiving holidays.
Not only is it delicious and perfect for Fall, it’s actually one of the healthiest Thanksgiving side dishes you’d ever come across!
I mean, as much as I love Mashed Potatoes and Sweet Potato Casserole, we all know it’s not exactly low in calories. So a dish like Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes is the perfect way to balance out your Thanksgiving menu, while still being crazy delicious.
For this Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes dish, we oven bake the veggies so they are slightly crunchy on the outside and not soggy, while coating them in a delicious garlic seasoning with a hint of brown sugar.
When it is done roasting in the oven, they are topped with dried cranberries and feta cheese for additional bites of sweetness and nuttiness.
It truly is a party in your mouth! Filled with incredible textures and flavors.
One of the best things about this is that unlike most Thanksgiving dishes, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and 20 minutes in the oven.
Super low touch and minimal active time. Which is always a win for me, especially when I am making a huge holiday meal!
And look how pretty it turn out with that little effort! If this doesn’t scream Fall I don’t know what does!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts – one of the most misunderstood veggies of all time, but thank goodness they are making a comeback and being much appreciated recently! Brussels sprouts will be halved, seasoned and oven baked, which make them flavorful, crunchy on the outside and not soggy! I firmly believe that Brussels sprouts have been hated for so long because they were cooked so wrongly (we have done them wrong!). Try making it this way and it will change your mind!
- Sweet Potatoes – diced into 1/2-inch cubes so they cook for around the same time as Brussels Sprouts. Make sure they are not too big!
- Garlic – use fresh garlic for best flavor. Avoid substituting with garlic powder.
- Dried cranberries – provides an additional layer of sweetness to the roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
- Feta cheese – this mild, nutty and slightly salty crumbled cheese brings out the flavors of this dish and also bring so much yummy flavors of it own to it.
- Brown sugar – adds a touch of sweetness to the Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
How to Make It
Step 1: Prepare Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes
First, wash Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes, and remove skin from sweet potatoes.
The beautiful thing about this Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes recipe is that we are roasting both the Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes together at the same time. It saves time and makes the process so much easier.
To do that well, cut Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes into about the same size to avoid undercooking or overcooking them. I typically half the Brussels sprouts and dice sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
Step 2: Season Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes
Bring Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl, and toss them with olive oil, minced garlic, brown sugar and salt.
Step 3: Bake
Bring Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes onto a greased half baking sheet. Feel free to line and grease for easier cleanup.
Spread them out. Avoid overcrowding them if not Brussels would be less crispy.
Bake at 400℉ for 10 minutes, then remove from oven toss to flip, and bring it back into the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Check at the 10 minute mark as bake time can vary depending on sizes of Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
Step 4: Serve
When roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are done baking, remove from oven and transfer onto a serving platter.
Top them with dried cranberries and crumbled feta cheese.
And that’s it!
The product is this gorgeously vibrant platter of roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes that is savory with hints of sweetness and tartness.
Gosh I just love the combination of the lovely green and orange colors!
It is light but full of big flavors and textures. Every bite is simple delightful and so delicious.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes make such a delicious Fall vegetable side dish. However, it’s great year round and we enjoy it as a side for the simplest dinner.
Make Ahead Instructions
Roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes taste best fresh from the oven. Brussels sprouts will no longer be as crispy if it’s not served fresh. You can make ahead if you really need to. It’s still tasty, just not the best.
To make ahead, you can go ahead and roast Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and set aside. Warm them in the oven spread out on sheet pan covered with aluminum foil at 350℉ for 15 minutes, or until they are completely warm.
Only top with dried cranberries and feta cheese when roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts are reheated and ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some tips to make Brussels Sprouts crispy:
1) Make sure to half them instead of roasting them whole (more surface area means more crispiness). If Brussels sprouts are very large, you can even cut them into quarters.
2) Avoid overcrowding them on sheet pan. Use two baking sheets if needed.
3) Grease the baking sheet and turn the halved Brussels sprouts face down. This will sear the flat side of the Brussels sprouts.
4) At the end, broil them for 1-2 minutes so that the tops are charred. Be careful not to overdo this as you may end up burning sweet potatoes.
If you cut them to about the same size it should be fine. Make sure sweet potatoes are not too big! 1/2-inch cube is a good size.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
More Delicious Side Dishes for the Holidays
- Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Honey Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Roasted Whole Carrots
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lbs Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 lbs sweet potatoes diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉.
- In a large mixing bowl, bring together Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, garlic, salt and brown sugar. Toss to combine.
- Grease a large half sheet baking sheet. Spread out sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts on it.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and toss Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Spread it out again on baking sheet and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft. (Check at the 10-minute mark)
- Remove from oven. Transfer sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts to a serving plate.
- Top with dried cranberries and feta cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!