Everyone needs this easy Instant Pot Mexican Rice side dish to compliment your favorite Mexican dishes! Fluffy, flavorful and filled with chunks of tomatoes, I can never get enough of Mexican Rice!
And of course, this delicious Mexican Rice recipe that I make in my Instant Pot!
Mexican Rice in the Instant Pot
Mexican Rice is truly one of the most staple Mexican dishes. Just like salsa, every restaurant has their own variation of it, with the bulk of it being long grain rice flavored with tomato and spices.
It is also very similar to what you might find as Spanish Rice. It’s basically rice cooked in tomato based sauces, along with Mexican inspired herbs and seasonings.
I adapted this recipe for the Instant Pot because 1) I love my Instant Pot 2) it also makes the process so much easier and hands free.
This Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe is perfect for busy people who want a Mexican Rice dish with truly incredible flavors.
It has become a staple in our household, and there’s really no other way I rather make my Mexican Rice these days.
Making Mexican Rice in the Instant Pot
Before you get cooking, make sure you have an Instant Pot. Since you know, that’s kinda important for this recipe. 😉
An Instant Pot is an amazing investment and I totally recommend it for busy people who want to make delicious food quickly. It pressure cooks your food and cuts down on the time it typically takes to make your food flavorful and tender.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Instant Pot Mexican Rice:
- Long grain rice – other types of rice works fine as well. Using dried, uncooked rice. Not instant rice packets.
- Mexican style canned tomatoes – typically includes jalapeño, green chiles or other herbs in them for that Mexican inspired flavors.
- Canned tomato sauce
- Chicken bouillon – this is the key to bringing lots of flavors to your Instant Pot Mexican Rice.
- Cooking oil
- Garlic – fresh is better than powdered
- Onions – fresh as well
How to make it
To make Instant Pot Mexican Rice, with the ‘saute’ setting on the Instant Pot. Add cooking oil, garlic and onions. Saute until they are fragrant, then add the rest of the ingredients into the Instant Pot to pressure cook.
I totally explained it all in one paragraph.
Mexican Rice the Instant Pot way is truly as simple as that! 🙂
When it is ready, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then move valve to venting mode and continue to release pressure.
Fluff the Mexican rice and serve with lots of fresh cilantro.
If you are not into cilantro, simply omit it. My husband doesn’t like cilantro so he eats the rice without it, and he thinks it’s amazing that way as well!
And that’s all there is to it!
Easy, flavorful and the perfect family dinner side dish!
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Mexican Rice recipe as much as we do!
Tips and Tricks
A couple of things to note when making Instant Pot Mexican Rice:
- Chicken bouillon is used instead of chicken broth because it gives more flavor to the rice. Avoid subbing with chicken broth if possible!
- Use fresh garlic and onions. Avoid subbing with garlic powder and onion powder.
- After searing the onions and garlic, make sure to scrap off any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot. After adding the other ingredients into the Instant pot, use a wooden spoon to stir and again scrap off anything that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Doing all these will help avoid the dreaded “burn notice” warning half way through pressure cooking.
- Do not reduce the amount of water because that could also trigger the “burn notice” warning.
- Give time for Instant Pot to build and release pressure! Pressure cooking time is set for 7 minutes, but it takes some time for the Instant Pot to build and release pressure.
What to Serve with Mexican Rice
Here are some yummy Mexican/ Mexican inspired dishes to serve with our Instant Pot Mexican Rice:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Chipotle Chicken Tostadas
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada
- BBQ Chicken Tacos
- Cheese Enchiladas (by Kathyrn’s Kitchen Blog)
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other Rice Recipes
- Easy Mixed Vegetable Rice
- Thai Mango Sweet Sticky Rice
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice
- Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- Steak Fried Rice
- One Pan Baked Lemon Chicken and Rice
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Set Instant Pot to "saute' setting. Add vegetable oil, onions and garlic. Saute until garlic and onions are fragrant. Do not brown or burn. Scrap the bottom of the pan to remove any brown bits stuck to it.
- Add water, chicken bouillon, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and salt to Instant Pot.
- Stir well and scrap the bottom of the pot to make sure nothing is stuck to it (important to ensure "burn notice" doesn't appear when pressure cooking).
- Cover lid and move valve to sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 7 minutes. (Build in time for it to build and release pressure)
- When pressure cooking is completed, release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then move valve to venting position and release pressure manually.
- Open lid and stir to fluff rice
- Garnish with cilantro and serve! Enjoy!