Queso is a very special gift to mankind. To the first person who said ‘hey, let’s melt some cheese!’ – the world has benefited from your ingenuity, so thankyouthankyouthankyou. Because life certainly got yummier since then.
Technically short for chili con queso, queso is a common appetizer in Tex-Mex cuisine (fusion of Texan and Mexican cuisine). It is a bowl of warm, melted cheese with seasonings and ingredients such as tomatoes and chili peppers, served with warm tortilla chips. YUM – Sign me up!!
Observe the cheesy goodness…
My husband is a lover of all quesos. Queso is always present when we have Mexican food. We are always trying out new quesos. We make our own queso. You get the picture. We are avid queso eaters, and creators :). You need to thank my husband for this recipe. He has made this queso recipe since high school. We have tweaked it slightly since then, but this is a tried and true recipe from my hubs. It is super easy, only seven ingredients (yes, SEVEN!) and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
First you melt butter in a saucepan, add chopped onions, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Then add everything else into the saucepan – Velveeta cheese, a can of Rotel (tomatoes and chili peppers), chicken bone broth, garlic powder and chili powder. Cook until queso is smooth, and your desired consistency.
That’s it. I just finished describing a recipe in one paragraph. It is SO EASY.
If you would like to add more ingredients to make a more complex version of a queso, here are some other items you can add:
- Smoked Paprika – bumps the smoky flavor up a couple of notches
- Tabasco – this will provide a spicier and more sour spin. A little goes a long way.
- Garnish with cilantro! Cilantro gives it a fresh burst of flavor when you bite into it.
Grab some chips and DIP IN.
Perfect for that Super Bowl party this weekend, or as a side for your favorite Mexican meal!
It’s time to QUESO!
But WAIT! HOLD THE BREAKS. What is better than Queso? Queso and Homemade Chunky Guacamole. DOUBLE YUM! Check out this other favorite of ours!
Quick 15-Minute Queso (Cheese Dip)
- 1 lbs Velveeta cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth or chicken broth
- 10 oz Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika optional
- 1/4 tsp tabasco optional
- cilantro optional
- Dice onions
- In a saucepan, add butter and diced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add Velveeta cheese, chicken bone broth, Rotel tomatoes, garlic powder, and chili powder. Can add smoked paprika, tabasco if desire. Cook until desired consistency.
- Serve with chips. Optional: Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!