Ah…Easy Cheesy Potato Wedges. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, these potatoes are baked with gooey melted cheese, and yes…calls for only 6 ingredients!
So yummy, so perfect…it is hard to stop at one! Be still my potato-loving heart.
The story behind Easy 6-Ingredient Cheesy Potato Wedges
One of my childhood memories is eating cheesy potato wedges at a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant.
During our last trip back to Malaysia, my sister and I scouted out the local KFC we used to frequent and ordered the cheesy potato wedges to relive the memories of gooey (semi-fake) cheese being smothered all over wedges seasoned with the classic KFC secret-recipe seasoning.
It was glorious.
Although I suspect nostalgia played a big role in how good they tasted. 🙂
So there you go, that was Cheesy Potato Wedges from my childhood. But I’m about to show you something even better. I like to think of this as my Cheesy Potato Wedges, the “grown up” version.
This version uses real cheese and fresh potatoes, takes on a healthier method of cooking – oven-baked (not fried), uses pantry friendly ingredients, is super simple to make (because grown-ups are busy), and is, of course, super duper yummy.
This beauty combines easy and delicious.
And did I say only 6 ingredients? Pretty sweet deal.
For the longest time, whenever I crave for french fries or potato wedges, I would buy frozen potatoes from the grocery store, add seasoning and bake them in the oven.
Then I realized it doesn’t take much more time to use fresh potatoes, cut, season and bake them. It is also more budget friendly.
And by not peeling the potato skin, not only does it add convenience, you’ll get more nutrients eating the potatoes with skin on.
So why not?
Types of potatoes to use
I use russet potatoes for this recipe, because I like the grainy and starchy texture, and russet bakes very well. Red potatoes will also work well.
Besides potatoes, here’s the short list of the other pantry-friendly ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Green onions
How to make Easy Cheesy Potato Wedges?
To begin, using a brush or your hands, scrub each potato to remove dirt. Since we are not peeling the potato skin, cleaning the potatoes is important.
Cut the potato in half (long ways) and then cut it into wedges.
Each half of the potato usually yield about 4 wedges.
Line wedges up faced down (see picture) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Then lightly drizzle olive oil on top. Parchment paper prevents potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet.
If you are not using parchment paper or aluminum foil, grease baking sheet prior to lining up the potatoes.
Lightly sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper to potatoes. A little seasoned salt does go a long way – they are super salty.
Also keep in mind we will be adding cheese to the fries, which will make it saltier and provide additional flavors to the dish.
It goes into the oven for 20 minutes at 400℉.
Then remove from oven, and flip each potato wedges so the other side of the wedges face down. The facing-down side will typically brown more.
Lightly sprinkle more olive oil, seasoned salt and pepper to the wedges. Bring pan back to the oven and cook for another 20 minutes at the same temperature.
Crispy, well seasoned on the outside; soft and warm on the inside.
This by itself would be yummy and good. But we don’t stop at good…
On the same pan, group potato wedges together (with some overlapped), then add shredded cheese onto the wedges.
I use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese (because that is what I had at hand), but feel free to use only one type, or three or four different cheeses.
I typically bring pan into the oven that I have just turned off (from 400℉) but is still warm, and let the cheese melt for 5 minutes. If your oven is cooled down by the time you get to this, melt cheese in a 350℉ temperature for 3-5 minutes.
And here you go – cheesy, ooey-gooey goodness. Don’t forget to sprinkle some chopped green onions.
I love it with green onions on top because it gives it a burst of freshness, and brings another level of flavor and texture to the dish.
YOU GUYS! This is so good, and SO EASY.
It’s the perfect spring/summer side for burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, steaks and so much more. Also, appetizers for game day, or Super Bowl Sunday, or March Madness?
A tip to take this over the top: ADD BACON. Sprinkle some chopped, crispy bacon to the potatoes and take this to the next level.
YOU ARE WELCOME!
Cheesy Potato Wedges, anyone? 🙂
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest! We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other Potato Recipes on the Blog!
- Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Potatoes
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
- Potato and Ham Au Gratin
Easy 6-Ingredient Cheesy Potato Wedges
- 3-4 russet potatoes
- ~2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or more
- season salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- ~1 cup shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
- Scrub and wash russet potatoes. With skin on, cut potatoes into half (long ways), then cut into wedges.
- Line potatoes on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not overlap potatoes. If not using parchment paper, grease baking sheet first.
- Lightly sprinkle ~1 tbsp of olive oil onto potatoes, then lightly sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper. A little bit goes a long way for seasoned salt.
- Bring baking sheet to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Flip over potato wedges and lightly sprinkle with ~1 tbsp olive oil, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Continue baking for another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside. Remove potatoes from oven.
- On the same baking sheet, group cooked potato wedges together, with some overlapping, and top with shredded cheese
- With the oven still warm (but turned off), bring potato wedges and cheese into oven and melt cheese for 5 minutes. If oven is no longer warm, warm melted cheese at 350 degrees for 2-4 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve. Enjoy!