Introducing Turkey Sweet Potato Chili! I love regular chili, but I’m telling you, I’m loving this ground turkey, no bean, sweet potato version even more!
This is a fun and healthier twist to traditional chili, but it still retains that slightly spicy, tomato-y flavors and hearty textures that we all know and love.
This chili recipe is very similar to my Healthy Turkey Chili, but loaded with lots of yummy sweet potato chunks and has a slightly sweeter twist to it. The slight sweetness in the broth goes perfectly with those wonderful sweet potatoes.
And it also has no beans in it, whereas Healthy Turkey Chili does.
Every now and then, I just don’t want the beans in my chili, instead I add sweet potatoes. Having a fervent passionate love for all things sweet potato, it is no surprise that I did not miss the beans one bit.
The product is a cozy and comforting soup filled with ground turkey, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes (well duh…), then garnished with avocados, cheese, and cilantro.
My opinion about garnishes is that they are just as important as the chili itself. So whenever I am having a bowl of chili, you better believe it is loaded with garnishes.
If you aren’t a garnish person, it’s okay we can still be friends! 😉 Add lots of garnish, add no garnish at all, or somewhere in between…it’s all yummy, and you should enjoy this chili however way you want!
It is a delicious bowl of soup to enjoy in this beautiful Fall weather that is slowly but surely coming upon us.
Let’s make Turkey Sweet Potato Chili!
This is a one-pot, 30-minute, easy meal that that anyone can put together, even on a busy evening!
Bring together these ingredients to cook in the pot:
- Ground turkey
- Sweet potatoes (1 large, or 2 small)
- White or sweet onions
- Canned tomatoes (petite diced and tomato sauce)
- Chicken broth
- Spices (chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin)
- Frozen corn
- Sugar, salt and black pepper to taste
And of course, if you want to make this your own or jazz it up further, here are some other ingredients you can add:
- Bell peppers
- Beans (if you really must!)
- Ground beef or pork or chicken
Keep in mind that if you add a lot of additional ingredients you will need to add more liquid and spices to balance out the flavors and thickness of the chili as well.
When the turkey sweet potato chili is done, garnish with some of all of the below!
- Cilantro (something about cilantro in sweet potato chili just rounds out the flavor so well!)
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips or corn chips
- Sour cream
Tips and Tricks
- Cut sweet potatoes into ~1 inch cube. Avoid cutting it in large pieces because it will take longer to cook.
- Salt is used to open up flavors, not just to add saltiness to the chili. Taste chili when it is fully cooked, and if it is not as flavorful as you like, try adding a dash or two of salt. You’ll be surprise what a little bit of salt can do to bring the flavors to the next level!
Turkey Chili makes great meal prep because it stores really well. In fact, I might argue that it tastes even better after sitting for a few days as the chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika would have fully permeated the soup and the other ingredients such as the ground turkey and sweet potato.
I’m definitely one of those people who loves leftover chili and look forward to it. Especially when they are as tasty as this one.
Whenever I make this recipe I typically double it and store one batch in the freezer for busy weeks.
There’s nothing quite like warm homemade comfort food that is already done and only needs to be microwaved on a busy weeknight.
How to store Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
Store in air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freezer for up to 2 months.
If storing in the freezer, bring to refrigerator to fully defrost chili 24 hours prior before microwaving it to heat it up.
After many, many hot days this summer, I am so ready to make a big bowl of this cozy chili, put on my comfy sweater, and kick off Fall season.
Wanna join me?? 😄
If you make this recipe, comment below and let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Other Chili and Soup Recipes
- Healthy Turkey Chili
- Beef Stew
- Ravioli Tomato Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Simple Tomato Soup
- Creamy Enchilada Chili (by A Farmgirl’s Dabbles)
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 5-7 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes canned
- 16 oz tomato sauce canned
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 large sweet potato 1-inch cubed (~12 oz)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup frozen corn
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 avocado sliced
- In a large pot, add olive oil, diced onions and minced garlic. Saute under medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add ground turkey to pot, break up the ground turkey if it is clump together. Sprinkle one or two pinches of salt and pepper to turkey. Cook until turkey is almost done (no longer red/pink).
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, diced sweet potatoes, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin and sugar to pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat, and cook for another 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Add frozen corn. Bring heat to medium high, cook for another few minutes until liquid comes to a boil again. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Serve by dividing chili into a few bowls, and garnish with all or some of the garnish ingredients! We recommend garnishing with at least one or two of them. Enjoy!