Please say hello to my new favorite way of making green beans! Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans is everything you can ever hope for in green beans.
Sweet and flavorful caramelized onions cooked with slightly charred and crunchy green beans, smothered with fresh garlic, a little bit of butter and sea salt, and topped with shaved almonds.
I also call this green beans, the sophisticated way.
Because it has that classy look, and taste, to it. And yes I realized I am talking about green beans here.
Why Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans
Green beans, like a lot of veggies, are way underrated. It is often misunderstood. Never really a kid favorite. And quite frankly, isn’t cooked very well most of the time. But I believe in green beans. I also believe green beans don’t have to be smothered in cream to be yummy.
Don’t get me wrong, I do like them smothered in cream (and cheese, and condensed mushroom soup), so don’t deprive me of creamy yummy green beans, please. But what I’m saying is, green beans has so much more potential than that. Way more than a smothered-in-cream kinda veggie.
This Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans bring about a fresh new way to prepare green beans. When I finished photographing this, I stood on my kitchen counter munching away these green beans, and I could not stop.
Could not STOP. Eating green beans. Oh, you better believe it.
That’s how I know it’s legit.
With the holiday season around the corner, this is the perfect side for your holiday dinner table. But it is not limited to the holidays. We will also eat this any day – a great side to serve with any protein main dish.
This is truly the secret ingredient to this dish. One of my favorite things about onions is that when cooked, it transforms from being pungent and spicy to sweet and flavorful.
Also, have you sautéed onions and smell the lovely aroma of caramelized onions on a skillet? Omg. I love the way my kitchen smells whenever I make caramelized onions. I live for my kitchen smelling like caramelized onions…
No words. No words to describe the gorgeous flavors and textures these caramelized onions bring to the green beans. All you need to do is sauté the sliced onions in butter under medium to medium high heat. Once it turns soft and slightly brown, sprinkle some salt, and viola – caramelized onions!
Tips and Tricks for making Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
In addition to basic ingredients, all you need to this recipe is a skillet. It is such a simple recipe, but one that produces so much great flavors, and definitely not simplistic.
Use a skillet that retains heat really well. And don’t skim on the butter because high heat and enough oil is necessary to soften and cook the green onions.
If you are feeding a lot of people and want to double or triple the recipe, make sure you are not crowding the skillet when you sauté the green beans. Sauté green beans in batches if necessary!
If eating veggies has been a chore for you, make eating veggies fun again (or for the first time) with Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans. If there is any dish that can accomplish that, I suspect this is it.
Make this today! And be sure to tell me what you think in the comment box below! If you are on Instagram, share pictures of your creations by tagging #joyousapron! And while you are there, don’t forget to follow me!
Other veggie dishes
- Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- Honey Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Easy Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob with Parmesan Herb Butter
- Sautéed Garlic Brussel Sprouts and Carrots
- Garlic Roasted Cheesy Green Beans (by Mireille at The Tortilla Channel)
Enjoy! Hope you are having fun prepping for the holidays!
If you make this recipe, comment below and let me know what you think! Also, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Caramelized Onions Sautéed Green Beans
- 8 oz fresh green beans
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion
- 3 tbsp salted butter more if needed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup shaved almonds
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- Slice onions into thin slices and chop garlic. Wash green beans and if desire, remove ends.
- Heat 2 tbsp of salted butter in a large skillet under medium heat. Once skillet is heated and butter is melted (not browned or burned), add sliced onions
- Cook onions for a few minutes or until it is soft and slightly brown on the edges. Add 1/4 tsp salt, stir for a few seconds to mix well, then remove onions and set aside.
- Heat the other 1 tbsp of salted butter in large skillet under medium high heat. Once skillet is heated and butter is melted, add garlic and green beans. Saute for a few minutes until green beans are almost cooked and turn darker green. Add more butter if needed to fully cook the green beans.
- Add caramelized onions to skillet, saute onions with green beans. Add the other 1 tsp of salt. Mix well.
- Remove from heat once green beans is fully cooked. Garnish with shaved almonds.
- Serve and enjoy!