This Pumpkin Banana Bread is the BEST! Moist, soft and filled with pumpkin spice and banana flavors. A must-bake this Fall!
Pumpkin banana bread is similar to my popular Pumpkin Banana Muffin recipe, with slight variations and in loaf form. They are both delicious grab-and-go breakfast and snack that you will love!
Banana Pumpkin Bread Recipe
If you have never combine the flavors of pumpkin and banana together, oh you are in for SUCH a treat!
Pumpkin banana bread is truly the perfect way to create a balance and yummy flavor profile between flavors of pumpkin and banana. It uses a loaf pan to bake, and is a quick bread recipe that has a cake-like texture that is soft and moist.
It is also super easy to make, and here’s why:
- Uses one mixing bowl
- no mixer necessary
- no yeast necessary
I love to serve my pumpkin banana bread with a cup of hot coffee or tea. Or if you want to go all in into the pumpkin business, pair with a cup of pumpkin spiced latte and get the full load of pumpkin!
Pumpkin banana bread is the perfect treat on a cozy Fall day. So put on your favorite comfy sweatshirt and snuggle under your favorite warm blanket, and join me as I enjoy this delicious pumpkin treat all season long!
P/S: It makes your home smell warm and just like Fall while it is baking as well! Which is always a plus in my books.
Kitchen Tools Needed
You will need a 9′ x 4′ bread pan. I linked to my favorite non-stick bread pan!
I’ve been asked whether this pumpkin banana bread uses the same ingredients as my pumpkin banana muffins. The answer is I had to switch up a few ingredients to maintain the moisture in our pumpkin banana bread, so it is slightly different.
Here is what you need to make pumpkin banana bread:
- pumpkin puree – Libby’s pumpkin puree is my go0to pumpkin puree. This is not the same as pumpkin pie filling.
- banana – use ripen bananas that has turned partially brown for best taste. To ripen bananas quickly, here are a few methods to try. We will be mashing up the bananas for this recipe.
- vanilla extract – pure vanilla extract will yield the best taste.
- unsalted butter – this will make pumpkin banana bread super moist and gives it some delicious flavor. Avoid substituting with vegetable oil – I find that bread is a lot dryer when using vegetable oil.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar – using brown sugar in addition to granulated sugar gives the pumpkin banana bread a slightly caramelized flavor.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder – used as a rising agent for the quick bread
- baking soda – used as a rising agent for the quick bread
- ground cinnamon – the flavors of cinnamon combine perfectly with pumpkin, making it ‘taste’ even more like Fall!
- salt – using just a pinch to open up the flavors
How to make it
Pumpkin banana bread is a simple quick bread recipe using pantry-friendly ingredients. It requires only 15 minutes of prep time and another 1 hour in the oven.
To start, grease a 9′ x 4′ loaf pan or line with parchment paper for easy removal of the bread after baking.
In a large mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients – mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs.
Then add dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt.
Mix to combine, then bring batter into the loaf pan.
Unless you are using a non-stick loaf pan, you’ll want to line it with parchment paper or grease it beforehand.
Bake pumpkin banana bread in the oven at 350℉ for 60-65 minutes.
Check at the 60-minute mark by inserting a toothpick to the middle of the loaf. If toothpick comes out clean, bread is done.
Let pumpkin banana loaf rest in the bread pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let it cool on a cooling rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing the bread.
Be patient and give pumpkin banana bread time to cool, if not the insides will be too moist to cut into.
The best way to serve pumpkin banana bread is to serve it warm. It pairs perfectly with a cup of hot coffee or tea, and can be enjoyed as breakfast, a snack or even dessert.
It always tastes best fresh off the oven. However, if you do eat it the next day, you can warm it briefly in the microwave for a few seconds.
Banana pumpkin bread also makes a thoughtful homemade gift for neighbors, friends and family for the Fall.
Bake a loaf or two, wrap it up in clear plastic wrap and gift this delicious bread as gifts. I promise you everyone will love receiving this as gifts! I know I will! 🙂
Variations and Mix-in’s
This is a basic pumpkin banana bread recipe, so there are so many ways to add in other ingredients to make it even more delicious.
Here are some ingredients I love to add to this loaf:
- nuts – walnut, pecans, or your favorite nuts!
- chocolate chips
- dried fruits – raisin, dried cranberries
Store Pumpkin banana bread in room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To freeze a whole pumpkin banana bread, make sure bread is cool completely, and there’s no need to slice it. Wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Store in freezer for up to 3 months.
You can also freeze banana bread by the slice. Follow the same freezing instructions above.
Frequently Asked Questions
At the 60-minute mark, insert a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. If toothpick comes out clean, bread is done. If not, bake it for a few minutes longer.
There are some slight variations when making muffins, so I would use this pumpkin banana muffin recipe instead.
Use gluten free flour instead of all purpose flour.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
More Delicious Baked Goods for the Fall
- Best Easy Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Cinnamon Galette
- Cinnamon Rolls with Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon Bundt Cake
- Apple French Toast Casserole
Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup banana mashed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350℉.
- Grease a 4'x9' loaf pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add pumpkin puree, mashed bananas, vanilla extract, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to wet ingredients. Fold to combine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes in the oven. Check for doneness at the 60-minute mark by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the bread. If toothpick comes out clean, bread is done. If it doesn't, bake for a few more minutes.
- Let pumpkin banana bread cool in the bread pan for 10 minutes, then remove and place on cooling rack. Let it cool for at least 20 minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy!