English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich features layers of toasty and chewy English muffin, savory Canadian bacon, and a fluffy fried egg cooked to perfection, bind together by a slice of American cheese. If you are a fan of those fast-food versions….oh trust me…the best is yet to come!
English muffin breakfast sandwich are the perfect meal prep breakfast – it can easily be made ahead and is also freezer friendly. More instructions on how to make prep your english muffin breakfast sandwiches are included below.
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich..for now and later!
These english muffin breakfast sandwiches are the few things in life that can get me out of bed in snap in the mornings. Very few things do. I love my bed, and my sleep…
If it looks and sounds familiar to you, you are not mistaken, english muffin breakfast sandwich is totally inspired by McDonald’s famous egg muffin sandwich served during their breakfast hours.
That is my go-to McDonald’s order (along with a piece of hash brown) for as long as I know. I’ve not the biggest fan of McDonald’s in general, but when it comes to McDonald’s breakfast, and especially any of their breakfast sandwiches on English muffins…SIGN ME UP!!
When I don’t feel like spending $5 on a breakfast sandwich, I’ll make my own English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich at home…McDonald’s style. It tastes JUST like it, except that it’s less greasy and even more delicious. That’s what happens when you make it fresh at home with fresh and good quality ingredients…
This is definitely my favorite way to put together a breakfast sandwich when I want to indulge in a hearty breakfast and brunch.
I love the beautiful combination of Canadian bacon, slightly crispy fried egg, and gooey cheese on that chewy toasted English muffin. Every bite is a party in the mouth!
In addition to being a delicious, protein-packed meal, English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich also makes a delicious make ahead breakfast option.
Make it the night before, then wake up and reheat your sandwich (20 seconds of your blurry morning life), eat a real and healthy-ish breakfast with lots of protein that will keep you full and ready to face the day.
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich – my partner/co-conquerer of crazy mornings.
Ready to make an English Breakfast Breakfast Sandwich? Gather up these ingredients!
- English muffins – I like to lightly toast them so they are slightly crispy. I love some textures when I bite into my english muffin breakfast sandwich!
- eggs – fry them up however way you like them – sunny side up, over easy, well done etc. You can also poach or scramble them if you prefer!
- Canadian bacon – feel free to substitute with bacon, ham, smoked salmon or sausages. Or just omit it completely.
- cheese – I like to use deluxe American cheese because I like how they melt easily. Feel free to use your favorite sliced cheese. Cheddar, Colby Jack, mozzarella, Swiss, provolone work great in English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches as well!
- cooking oil – used to cook the eggs
As you can see, it’s a short list of ingredients that are super easy to find!
How to make it
The beauty about this English muffin breakfast sandwich recipe is that you really don’t need to have much cooking skills at all! We’ll show you how to:
Toast english muffin: Slice English muffins in halves, and place them on a baking sheet. Broil English muffins until the edges are browned – this should only take a few minutes.
Fry eggs: On the stove fry eggs and try to shape them into a round shape (like the English muffin). But don’t stress if you can’t. You just want to keep them around the same size as the English muffin so that it piles up nicely. But if not seriously, no sweat. It’ll still taste the same. 😉
Break the yoke and then flip the egg to the other side. If you prefer your egg runny, that’s fine too. My only advice is to not cook runny eggs if you are planning on storing it for a few days.
If you really want to make the eggs round, here’s a simple tip: When frying the egg, flip a 3 1/2″ cookie cutter upside down (so the blade is facing upward and doesn’t scratch your skillet), grease the sides of the cookie cutter and the skillet, and crack the egg into the cookie cutter to give the egg a round shape.
Assemble sandwich: Place a slice of Canadian bacon on each half of the english muffins, then top with egg and a slice of cheese.
Cover the tops with the other side of the English muffin.
Serve: serve this warm, or let it cool and refrigerate or freeze for another time. See make ahead instructions below. English muffin breakfast sandwich makes the perfect make-ahead, grab-and-go breakfast!
Make Ahead/ Meal Prep Instructions
Whenever I prepare English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich, I make one for myself and one for my husband for breakfast, and then I buckle down and make a lot of them. Like a WHOLE lot.
Breakfast meal preps are awesome. Put in about 15-20 minutes of work, and you get breakfasts for many days….that’s what I’m talking about!
When making ahead these English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich for meal prep, make sure that they cool completely before wrapping them in a saran wrap or aluminum foil.
Wrap them up individually in a saran wrap and keep them in the refrigerator. It keeps well for up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
English muffin breakfast sandwich can also be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. Make sure to bring them to the fridge at leave them overnight before reheating them.
When you are ready to eat them. Just unwrap these english muffin breakfast sandwiches and heat them up. My husband grabs them from the fridge and brings them with him to work if he is running late. SO SO EASY.
Go conquer those busy morning with these yummies!!
Tips and Tricks
- Use fresh Ingredients: Fresh ingredients can elevate the taste of your sandwich. If possible, go for fresh baked English muffins, farm fresh eggs and high-quality cheese and meat.
- Customize It: Switch out the Canadian bacon for alternatives such as sausage, bacon, smoked salmon or ham. Add spinach, avocado or other vegetables to make the sandwich healthier or more flavorful. Add hot sauce if you like it spicy!
- Toasting the muffins: Toasting the muffins (or broil them in the oven) can keep them firmer for longer and also adds a nice texture to your sandwich.
- Cook eggs to your preferences: Some prefer their eggs scrambled, some fried, and some poached. Cook your eggs the way you like them for your perfect breakfast sandwich.
Frequently Asked Questions
I also love adding bacon, sausage, avocados, ham. If you like it spicy you can also add hot sauce to it.
You can omit the Canadian bacon and substitute with avocados and/or spinach.
Absolutely! Make sure to omit the smashed avocados when assembling if you are freezing these sandwiches. Place them in an airtight container or wrap them up individually, they should be good in the freezer for up to 2 months!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
Other Breakfast Ideas
These are other breakfast ideas that are simple to put together, or can be made ahead of time so your morning breakfasts are quick and easy!
- Berry French Toast Casserole
- Berry Banana Chia Smoothie
- Banana and Date Muffins
- Blueberry Bread with Crumb Topping
- Texas Sausage Kolache
- Easy Frittata with Ham, Spinach and Tomatoes
- Ham and Cheese Croissant Casserole
- Asparagus Mushroom Bacon Quiche (by Norine’s Nest)
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- 6 english muffins
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- Slice English muffins in half, place them on a baking sheet and broil them in the oven for a few minutes.
- Heat a large skillet and grease with canola/vegetable oil. Fry eggs, any style you prefer (sunny side up, over easy, well done etc).
- Place a slice of Canadian bacon on each half of the english muffins, then top with egg and a slice of cheese
- Cover the tops with the other side of the English muffin.
- Serve and Enjoy!
For Meal Prep
- Let English muffin cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Wrap breakfast sandwich in saran wrap or aluminum foil and keep in fridge for up to 3-4 days. When ready to eat, remove wrap and microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until warm. (Microwave varies).