Introducing the sexist dessert alive: Molten Chocolate Lava Cake. A rich and decadent chocolate cake with gooey lava in the middle, served with vanilla ice cream.
Simply put: It is what dreams are made of.
As sophisticated as it looks and sounds, Chocolate Lava Cake is so simple to make. Like 20-minute and 7-ingredient type of simple. And that 7-ingredient even includes the ice cream.
If you never had Molten Chocolate Lava Cake, run and make it/find it/buy it…do what you need to do to change that immediately.
When I first took a bite of this warm, sinfully gooey cake with that sweet creamy ice cream…I seriously thought I tasted a drop of heaven.
Yes – if you haven’t already read between the lines. It is one of my all-time favorite desserts. My dessert of choice at restaurants.
If I get stuck in a desert island, and I can bring one thing with me, it will be my Molten Chocolate Lava Cake.
With ice-cream, of course.
What you will need
When I first made this, I was so surprised by how easy it is.
I learned how to make my first Molten Chocolate Lava Cake using this recipe from Food & Wine. And GENIUS is what it is. This Molten Chocolate Lava Cake recipe of mine is definitely inspired by the Food & Wine recipe, with some slight changes made.
To make this, all you need are two 6oz ramekins, a whisk, two medium bowls, and the ingredients listed. And about 20 minutes of your time.
Prepare to be blown away.
Ingredients for Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
One important ingredient for Molten Chocolate Lava Cake is the 60-75% dark chocolate bars. Use good quality chocolate because that is the key ingredient, and it will determine how good your Molten Chocolate Lava Cake tastes!
Tip: Trader Joe’s is a great place for good quality chocolate for reasonable price.
We will be melting the chocolate, and good quality chocolate not only tastes better, it also melts better.
And since we are talking about melting, you can use a double broiler if you’d like, but I have this nifty trick of melting chocolate in the microwave, which I think is faster and it’ll be less dishes to wash at the end of it. You’re welcome.
Just remember to microwave chocolate (along with unsalted butter) for 30 seconds at 50% power, remove from microwave, stir, and repeat until chocolate is completely melted.
Remember to not short cut the steps because chocolate will burn otherwise. The trick is to melt it slow on low heat (thus 50% power), and stirring it while it melts.
I love these Molten Chocolate Lava Cake so much. Proof: I have made, tasted, eaten, photograph over a dozen of these things over the past week, and I am still PUMP about making it for Valentine’s Day.
Side note: This is probably up there when it comes to the hardest foods I have ever photographed. Thus the dozens of chocolate lava cake made.
Melting ice cream and gooey lava gives me a window of like 10 seconds to get the perfect shot, which translates into, remaking of cake, re-staging, starting over. Again, and again, and again.
Okay, rant over. I will spare you the details. But the reason I say all this is this…
I STILL LOVE THIS THING SO DANG MUCH, even after being over-exposed to it this week.
And I’m totally still making it for Valentine’s Day. My husband is still super excited about having his 10th lava cake for the month.
Whether you are celebrating Valentine’s Day or not, make this! You’ll love it!
Trust me, I wasn’t a Valentine’s Day kinda person for a long time. It can be a pretty depressing holiday. But seriously, what better way to chase away all that than a decadent lava cake. 😉
Also perfect for special occasions, a nice dessert after a nice dinner in, or just whenever your heart tells you its time for some lava cake.
Other Chocolate Desserts
- No-Bake Chocolate Tart
- Mini Chocolate Chess Pie
- Chocolate Cherry Brownies
- Caramel White Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cookies
- Homemade Hot Chocolate
- S’mores Ice Cream
- No Bake Oreo Truffles
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest! We very much your help! 🤍
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- 3 oz dark chocolate (60-75%)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter + more for greasing
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Vanilla ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring dark chocolate and unsalted butter to a small/medium micrwavable bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power, remove from microwave, stir with a spoon, bring back to microwave. Repeat until all chocolate is melted. Note: do not short cut this step to void burning chocolate!
- In another small/medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, flour, and sugar.
- Add melted chocolate into egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Generously grease two 6 oz ramekins using unsalted butter. Can grease with vegetable oil or canola oil as well.
- Divide mixture equally into the two ramekins. Place ramekins on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Remove ramekins promptly. Let it rest for 1 minute (don’t let it sit for too long as it will continue to cook and it will not longer be gooey in the middle). Invert ramekins onto plates.
- Top with vanilla ice cream. Serve and enjoy!