Get ready to satisfy your sweet cravings in minutes with this lovely dessert: Chocolate Mug Cake. Made in the microwave and ready under 5 minutes, this chocolate cake in a mug is gooey, fudgey, moist and rich in chocolaty flavors.
This single-serving dessert is a game-changer, offering a quick fix for those moments when you need a dose of chocolatey goodness without the fuss.
Microwave Chocolate Cake in a Mug
Forget about lengthy prep times and complicated techniques; all you need is a mug, a handful of pantry staples, and a microwave to whip up chocolate mug cake in no time.
But easy doesn’t mean a mediocre chocolate mug cake situation. Oh no no no no.
We tested and retested this chocolate mug cake recipe many times until we achieved a result that we are utterly satisfied with.
Not gonna lie, there are a lot of chocolate mug cake recipes out there, and a lot of them are dry, kinda bland, and honestly, just not very tasty. Because let’s be real here, making a good chocolate mug cake in the microwave is hard!
I was one of those super skeptical people who didn’t believe I would actually want to eat a chocolate mug cake made in 90 seconds in the microwave.
But my husband was adamant about getting chocolate mug cake right, and he didn’t give up.
After much trial and error, here I present to you the BEST chocolate mug cake – expect moist, rich, decadent, chocolaty and fudgy goodness.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this easy chocolate mug cake recipe:
- Flour and sugar – all-purpose flour and granulated sugar are perfect for this recipe.
- Cocoa powder – use unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder – this will give our chocolate mug cake a little rise.
- Milk – I used 2% milk, but any milk you have on hand will work.
- Vegetable or canola oil – this helps keep the cake moist.
- Vanilla extract – vanilla always provides that boost of flavor in ‘baked’ goods.
- Mini chocolate chips – the recipe calls for mini chocolate chips but chocolate chips can also be used.
- Chocolate hazelnut spread – a.k.a. nutella. This brings a rich flavor and gooey texture to the cake. It can be omitted if you don’t want it or don’t have it.
How to make chocolate mug cake in the microwave
Grab a mug: Use a microwave safe mug that is 15oz or lager to prevent overflow.
Mix the dry ingredients: In a microwave-safe mug, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder until well combined.
Add wet ingredients: Pour in the milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until the batter is smooth and free of lumps.
Fold in more chocolate: Fold in chocolate chips and nutella – this will make our chocolate mug cake even more chocolaty and rich!
Microwave: Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for about 90 seconds, or until the cake is set but still moist. Microwave power and times may vary, so keep an eye on it.
Enjoy: Let chocolate mug cake cool for a minute or two before digging in. Top with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or even another scoop of Nutella for extra indulgence.
- Experiment with add-ins: Customize your mug cake by adding nuts or a dollop of peanut butter to the batter.
- Texture control: Adjust the cooking time to achieve your desired cake texture—less time for a fudgier cake, more time for a firmer texture.
- Dress It up: Elevate your mug cake presentation by drizzling it with chocolate syrup, an extra dollop of Nutella, or a scoop of ice cream.
Storage and Reheating
Chocolate mug cake is best enjoyed warm and immediately straight from the microwave. However,
Storing Leftovers: If you somehow manage to resist devouring the entire chocolate mug cake in one sitting, you can store any leftovers by covering mug with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Reheating: Simply drizzle a few drops of water onto chocolate mug cake, and bring it back in the microwave to warm for a few seconds. Remove once it is warm. Be careful not to overheat it, or it may become dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll want to use mugs that are at least 15oz or larger to avoid spill over.
Just double the ingredients and divide the batter evenly between two mugs before microwaving.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
More Individual Serving Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- Grab a 16 oz microwavable mug.
- Add dry ingredients into mug: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Mix to vombine.
- Add in wet ingredients: milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add mini chocolate chips and chocolate hazelnut spread.
- Thoroughly mix, scraping the sides and bottom. Make sure all of your dry ingredients are incorporated in the mix.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Let it cool for a minute before digging in. Enjoy!