Grilled Chicken Zoodles, a.k.a. summer in a bite!! The simple, light, healthy, and flavorful meal that you don’t want to miss out, especially when zucchinis are still in season!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BRIANNAS Fine Salad Dressings. All opinions and texts are mine.
What are Zoodles?
YES ZOODLES. My husband was thoroughly perplexed about zoodles when he first heard it. Not exactly noodles, but kinda similar to noodles. But man, for not being noodles, it sure makes great noodles.
Have I confused you already?
Excuse me and let me explain (more plainly). Zoodles are spiralized zucchinis that are a great substitute for pasta/noodles for those looking for a healthy, low carb, and delicious meal. They also happen to have a very mild flavor and go really well with a lot of ingredients, sauces, and dressings.
You can get a super basic spiralizer to spiralize the zucchini, or buy zoodles that are already spiralized from the store.
The best part is: it takes less than a minute to spiralize a zucchini so it’s fairly straightforward!
Grilled Chicken Zoodles
These zoodles are ever so present on days when I need some lighter foods. While I love my carb heavy pasta, everything from Spaghetti and Meat Sauce to Tomato Basil Gnocchi, I need my low carb, fresh food days too.
During these “healthier” days, I indulge (yes I say indulge because healthy can still be yum) in this crunchy zoodle goodness that is topped with ripe and sweet mangoes (none of those sour ones for this recipe), cherry tomatoes, and a flavorful grilled chicken.
And then we very generously pour (because duh, it’s so yum) BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette ALL over this zoodle dish.
BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette has been my go-to salad dressing for many years. It is zesty, tangy, and sweet with a clean and light taste to it. Amazing is simply an understatement. And it does a heck of a job binding all the flavors together in this zoodle dish.
P/S: We stock up on BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette like a boss around here. Grab one (or multiple) of these goodies for yourself HERE. YOU ARE WELCOME. 😉
The reason why this dish is the bomb dish that it is: There’s the crunch from the zoodles, the sweetness from the mangoes and tomatoes, the savory smoked flavors from the juicy chicken, and the tanginess from the dressing.
Living proof that we don’t mess around in the flavor department.
How to make Grilled Chicken Zoodles?
The very first thing is to marinate the chicken for just 30-60 minutes. I like to slice the chicken breast into 2 thinner slices, so that the chicken is coated in more marinade and therefore more flavorful, and because it cooks quicker.
Grill the chicken (outdoor or indoor) or pan fry it. Because there is sugar in the marinade, avoid burning chicken before the insides are cooked by cooking under medium to medium low heat. If cooking on the stove top, covering the skillet/grill pan will be helpful too to make sure the insides of the chicken are cooked.
Prep the rest of the ingredients – zoodles, cherry tomatoes, and mangoes. Peaches, nectarines, or another sweet fruit can be substituted for mangoes. The role of the mangoes is to bring on that sweetness to the tangy dressing. It pairs perfectly well.
Top zoodles with chicken, cherry tomatoes, and mangoes. And then pour BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette all over it.
I like to serve with the dressing on the side so that everyone can toss the zoodles with as much or as little dressing as they want. It also prevents the zucchini and fruits from getting soggy.
I definitely recommend not tossing them in the vinaigrette if you know you will have leftovers.
Grilled Chicken Zoodles. Friend, I cannot tell you how many delightful evenings I have had munching on this yum thing. Make a bowl, grab a fork, and feed on this on your patio while you bask in the sunshine.
Other light and healthy meal ideas
If you like something light for the summer, check out some of these other goodies!
- Asian Salmon Salad with Ginger Soy Dressing
- Avocado Tomato Salad Power Wrap
- Chili Lime Shrimp with Avocado Crema
- Asian Lettuce Wraps
- BBQ Chicken Tacos
- Tofu Kebabs with Teriyaki Sauce (by Amy at Veggies Save the Day!)
Grilled Chicken Zoodles
- 2 medium/large zucchinis (~1.5 lbs)
- 1-2 ripe mangoes 2 small mangoes or 1 large mango
- 8-10 oz grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette or more
- 1 – 1.5 lbs chicken breast (~2 pieces)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil/vegetable oil + more for cooking
- Slice each chicken breast into two thinner pieces.
- In a large ziplock bag, combine lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and olive oil. Add chicken to ziplock bag and make sure chicken is well coated in marinate. Marinate for 30-60 minutes, or up to a couple of hours.
- Fire up grill or heat up skillet/grill pan, cook chicken on one side for a few minutes and flip to the other side. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. If using stove top, cook under medium/medium low heat and cover skillet/grill pan if necessary to fully cook chicken on the inside.
- While chicken is cooking, spiralize zucchinis, slice mangoes and grape tomatoes.
- Bring zoodles, mangoes, tomatoes and grilled chicken to a bowl.
- Add BRIANNAS Blush Wine Vinaigrette and toss salad in dressing. Alternatively, serve vinaigrette on the side. Enjoy!