Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats is the holiday version of rice krispie treats flavored with vanilla and mint, and topped with white chocolate and chocolate drizzled, along with crushed peppermint patties or candy cane.
These festive Christmas Rice Krispie Treats has the same ooey gooey goodness from melted marshmallows. It’s basically traditional rice krispie treats with a festive holiday twist!
Craving for rice krispie treats but want something less festive? Give this yummy Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats a try – it’s one of my favorite ‘everyday’ rice krispie treats to make outside the holiday season!
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
Peppermint rice krispie treats are the perfect holiday and Christmas snack and dessert. Something about these peppermint patties or candy canes just bring about a festive spirit.
Because of that we also call them Christmas rice krispie treats, holiday rice krispie treats, candy cane rice krispie treats…
Basically the idea is a traditional rice krispie treats that we all know and love with a touch of Christmas holiday spirit. Yummy AND with a whole lot of festive fun!
We make peppermint rice krispie treats all the time during the Christmas season and give them out as gifts as well since they are pretty cute – and it’s not a whole lot of work to make them look cute.
Here’s why they are so easy to make:
- no baking involved – just melt marshmallows and toss rice krispie cereal in it and let it harden
- simple, pantry-friendly ingredients – no fancy, complicated ingredients. In fact, you probably have most of them in your home!
- ready under 45 minutes – including cooling time!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these Christmas peppermint rice krispie treats:
- Rice Krispie cereal – you can use the brand name or off-brands; both turn out great.
- Mini marshmallows – mini marshmallows melt faster. If using larger marshmallows, cut into smaller pieces before melting.
- Peppermint patty candies – crushed peppermint candies is the final topping. Any brand or off-brand will work well. Candy cane works as well. This final topping makes these treat perfect for any holiday festivity.
- Salted butter – salted butter helps to enhance the flavors of these peppermint rice krispie treats. If you only have unsalted butter on hand, you can add a pinch of salt when melting the butter.
- Vanilla extract – vanilla extract plays a supporting role in this recipe. It helps to enhance the next ingredient. Pure vanilla extract has the best flavor.
- Peppermint extract – peppermint is just one to those flavors that goes along with the holiday season. Be careful not to use too much as it has a very strong flavor. Mint extract can be used as a substitute.
- Milk chocolate – chocolate is a perfect complement to the peppermint flavor. A little drizzle on top of the treats makes them perfect for any Christmas occasion be it a party, a gift, or an after dinner treat.
- White chocolate – white chocolate not only adds to the Christmas party spirit, but it also gives another layer of flavor that makes these peppermint rice krispie treats pop.
- Vegetable oil – adding vegetable oil to the chocolate chips helps give the melted chocolate a smooth consistency perfect for drizzling.
How to Make It
Here are step-by-step pictures and instructions to make peppermint rice krispie treats:
In a pot, melt butter, then add marshmallows, vanilla extract and mint extract.
Reduce heat to medium low, and stir continuously until marshmallows are fully melted.
Toss Rice Krispies in Melted Marshmallows
Once marshmallows are melted, remove from heat and add rice krispies.
Coat rice krispies with melted marshmallow mixture.
Shape in Pan
Gently press peppermint rice krispie treats into the pan using your hands. Avoid pressing too hard and overpacking the peppermint rice krispie treats.
If it is overpack, it’ll be hard to slice into later.
Bring chocolate chips (or regular chocolate) and 1/2 tsp vegetable oil into a small bowl. Melt in microwave set at 50% power for 30 second increments. Stir after each 30 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted
Repeat the same process for white chocolate chips.
Drizzle the top of Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats with melted chocolate and melted white chocolate, then top with crushed peppermint patties or candy cane.
Slice and Serve
Last but not least, after it sits for ~30 minutes, cut it peppermint rice krispie treats into smaller squares.
Then serve and enjoy these delicious festive Christmas holiday treats!
Peppermint rice krispie treats can be stored in an air tight container in room temperature for up to 5 days.
It’s best NOT to be stored in refrigerator because it will harden significantly and will be difficult to bite into.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Either works just fine!
Yes! Crush them up just like you would the peppermint patties and they’ll work just fine!
Spray vegetable oil onto fingers before touching the rice krispie treats to prevent them from sticking to fingers
1) Pressing them too hard into the pan and overpacking rice krispie treats can make them hard and hard to cut into.
2) Over cooking the marshmallow mixture can cause that too. Instead, melt marshmallow on medium low heat and once it is melted remove from heat promptly.
DID YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE? Please comment below and give us a 5-star rating! This will help others find this recipe on Google and Pinterest. We very much appreciate your help! 🤍
More Fun Dessert Recipes for the Holidays
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Chess Squares
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- Strawberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 cup peppermint patties crushed
- Heat a large pot under medium heat and add butter until melted.
- Lower heat to low/ medium low. Add marshmallows, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Stir continuously until mixture is combined and marshmallows have dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Fold in Rice Krispie cereal.
- Grease a 8 x 8 pan and fill with sticky Rice Krispie mixture. Spread to fill the pan without packing in the cereal. It would be more difficult to cut if it is packed in.
- In separate bowls, melt milk chocolate and white chocolate by mixing the each of the chips with 1/2 tsp vegetable oil. Melt in microwave set at 50% power for 30 second increments. Stir after each 30 seconds. Continue until chocolate and white chocolate are melted.
- Drizzle the melted milk chocolate and white chocolate on top of the Rice Krispies.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
- Let sit and cool for 30 minutes. Cut into squares.
- Serve and enjoy!