My sweet tooth and I cannot get enough of these chewy, ooey gooey Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats!
Marshmallows, peanut butter, rice Krispie cereal….listen, even if you don’t cook or bake often, it’s really hard to go wrong with this easy, no bake, 5-ingredient recipe!
I love the peanut butter in these Rice Krispie Squares because it takes the simple classic cereal treat to a whole new, much more delicious level.
Whenever I make this I can never count on leftovers because they always disappear before my eyes…
So heads up: don’t expect these to hang around a long time in the kitchen!
I have all the tips and tricks for making the most perfect Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, everything from flavor to texture to how to prepare it.
But first, here’s what you need to know about these yummy treats:
- They are perfectly gooey, chewy and delicious.
- Peanut butter brings a nice flavor to it, and also making it not crazy sweet, but just sweet enough! It also packs some nice protein, and I like to think it makes it (slightly) healthier! 😉
- Takes only about 15 minutes to make.
- No baking required, just a little time for the Rice Krispie Treats to set (30 minutes).
- Makes a delicious dessert or snack!
- Keeps well in room temperature.
Here’s the best part: these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are made with only FIVE ingredients!
Five easy-to-find, pantry-friendly ingredients that you may already have at hand:
- Rice Krispie cereal – I have used off-brands and they work just as well
- Mini marshmallows – the mini ones melt faster so that is why I always recommend using mini marshmallows. If you are using bigger marshmallows, cut them into smaller pieces.
- Salted butter – I like using salted instead of unsalted because the salt in the butter opens up the flavor and brings a nice touch to the treat.
- Peanut butter – use the creamy kind, I just don’t think crunchy works as well in this
- Vanilla extract – brings a nice vanilla flavor to these treats
What You Need to Make This
How to Make It
Let’s start by making the marshmallow/peanut butter sauce that is responsible for holding the Rice Krispies together.
The sauce is made out of butter, peanut butter, marshmallow and vanilla extract.
Make sure to cook under medium low heat and stir continuously. Once all the marshmallows are dissolved, switch off heat, then add the Rice Krispie cereal to the pot.
Fold Rice Krispies into the mixture until it is all combined.
At this point, it is very tempting to munch on these sticky Rice Krispies….I say go for it!
I will not disclosed the amount of munching I did while making batches of these Rice Krispies Treats… (Hint: too much. Way too much…)
Let’s just say once you get started, it is hard to stop!
Don’t munch on it for too long though…only because you want to transfer these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats into a greased baking dish that is at least 2-3 inches deep before it hardens.
When adding to the dish, do not press on Rice Krispies too much because that will make it harder to cut and pull apart once the marshmallow hardens.
Just gently spoon it onto the baking dish, and even if the top isn’t perfectly even, I would leave it that way, and not press on it too much.
Let it sit for 30 minutes in room temperature and then cut into square pieces.
The product is chewy, ooey gooey, peanut butter-y (is that even a word?) and simply irresistible.
Tips and Tricks
- When cooking peanut butter and marshmallow mixture, stir continuously under medium low heat to avoid the burning the mixture.
- Be sure to grease the dish before adding the sticky Rice Krispies for easy removal.
- Once the heat is turn off, quickly place sticky Rice Krispies onto the baking dish before it hardens. It hardens pretty quickly!
- Avoid pressing on Rice Krispies Treats when placing them on the dish and overpacking them.
- Do not store in refrigerator because marshmallow would harden and it will be hard to bite into. Store in room temperature in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! It will just yield a thinner Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Squares.
Store them in an air tight container in room temperature, do not refrigerate or freeze them – it will be too hard to bite into.
Yes! They work just fine!
More Sweets and Treats!
Some of my other favorites!
- Blueberry Crumb Bars
- S’mores Bars
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- No Bake Cheesecake Bites
- Mango Crumb Bars
Love this recipe? Comment below and give us a 5-star rating! Also, take a picture of your creation and tag me on Instagram, because I WANNA SEE!!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 10 oz mini marshmallow
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Heat a large pot under medium heat and add butter until it is completely melted.
- Lower heat to medium low. Add mini marshmallows, vanilla extract and peanut butter. Stir continuously until mixture is combined and marshmallows dissolve.
- Remove from heat and add Rice Krispies cereal. Fold them into the sticky sauce.
- Grease a 9' x 9' baking dish and fill it with sticky Rice Krispie cereal. Avoid pressing down on Rice Krispie Treats because we don't want to pack it in – it will make it hard to cut into pieces.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes. Cut into 9 square pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!